My proposal was to facilitate digital website portfolios to show growth evidence. I purchased my Chromebooks in August and prepared to implement them on School Day #1, in my Spanish 2 class.
A summary of my observations and tips:
- DO read blogs and articles about how others have implemented similar programs. (Pinterest, Twitter and Google are your friends!)
- DO "play" with your devices as much as you can. The more you know, the better off you'll be.
- DO NOT feel threatened if your students know more than you. They can teach you and others, and all will benefit.
- DO think carefully about what device you want if looking into a grant. Chromebooks are economical, easy to use, and convenient for a classroom. If I had to do it over again...I'd choose the same!
- DO plan for extra time. Assembling our portfolio websites and periodically adding content took much longer than I'd initially thought it would.
- DO NOT fret if something doesn't go as planned. That is real-life technology. Teach your students to go with the flow and trouble-shoot as best they can.
- DO remember your overall objectives. Technology is not the goal, but a tool to help reach your goal.
- DO be prepared to have fun!
Do you have a favorite device in your classroom? What are your thoughts on 1:1 in schools? I'd love to hear from you!